Summer marks the time when most families are planning their weekend travels, BBQ’s with friends, outdoor home projects, or even that much needed rest and relaxation on the Florida beaches. As you start planning the activities that rejuvenate you; Gerber wants to remind you that we are in the thick of Hurricane season; June 1 – November 30.
The United States has been marked by several devastating hurricanes and tropical storms that have left devastation, flooding, damage, and power-outages. Every homeowner should begin Hurricane season with a plan. When it comes to protecting your home and family, preparation is key.
Follow these tips to prepare your home and family before the Storm surges.
- Emergency Kit
- Food, water, and other supplies to last for at least 72 hours.
- Emergency Plan
- Learn the community hurricane evacuation plan and practice with your family.
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood prone.
- Secure your property:
- Cover all your home’s windows.
- Trim trees and shrubs around your home.
- Clear rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage doors.
- Move outdoor furniture or anything else not tied down outside.
- Consider purchasing a generator for emergencies.